www.gps-marketing.ch Read more [...]
Place Category: Feature
Airport Guide provides pilots and travelers global information for all airports, airlines, airmen, flight status, and tours.
Where Did AirportGuide.com Come From?
In 1991, I went to my local airport to look for airport info on a CD-ROM. I asked the owner of the FBO if he had ever heard of a software-based airport directory with diagrams, sectional maps, local restaurants, car rentals, hotels, attractions, etc. He said it didn’t exist and then the fateful words “Why don’t you create it?” I thought about it for a minute and decided it would take about 6 months to create this CD. It actually took a bit longer. The reason it took so long was for several reasons:
– I didn’t know where the data was
– It was before the internet
– The fastest computers were very slow which required leaving data processing tasks overnight and crossing your fingers that it worked (It takes one minute now when it used to take 8 hours in the early 1990’s)
– The data wasn’t that great when I found it
– I had to scan sectional maps for every airport, heliport, seaplane base, gliderport, STOLport, and ultralight field, and then I had to find diagrams.
– At this point I was a bit ahead of my time as there were no digital airport diagrams to be had so I had to scan those too.
Six years later, Airport Guide Western Edition was released on CD. Yes, I said 6 years, not 6 months.